Genealogical Proof Standard
The Genealogical Proof Standard was designed as a guide for proof in genealogical research. The five components to the Genealogical Proof Standard are: 
1. Reasonably exhaustive research
2. Complete and accurate source citations
3. Tests through analysis and correlation
4. Resolution of conflicting evidence
5. Soundly reasoned, coherently written conclusion
New evidence will necessitate the re-evaluation of a proof.
More information about the Genealogical Proof Standard can be found on the Board for Certification of Genealogists website (https://bcgcertification.org/).
 Board for Certification of Genealogists, Genealogy Standards, second edition (Nashville, TN: Ancestry, 2019), 1-3.